Thursday, December 8, 2011

those who save us

This is a special post because of the red jacket i found in sl and the book that i just read in rl. The background shows the cover of the book from Jenna Blum. You see a girl holding the hand of her mother. The title of the book is : "Those who save us".

This is what the writer asked her mom when they visited the concentration camp Buchenwald near Weimar.
She asked her, “If you’d been living in Germany during the war, what would you have done?”

She was silent for a moment, smoking, contemplating. Then she said, “I don’t know what I would have done. I’d like to think I would have been brave enough to help my Jewish friends, my neighbors. But if the Nazis caught you, the punishment was death. And if I had you kids to care for…. Well, I can only hope I would have been brave enough.”

That was when the character of Anna came to me, on that road from Buchenwald to Weimar: a young, quiet, beautiful German woman caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. An ordinary woman forced by a crucible of circumstance to make extraordinary, terrible decisions. Anna dwelled in my head for the next ten years, softly but insistently demanding that her story, that of the average German woman, be told.

Well that is where the book is about. I highly recommend this book. The girl in the red coat is the daughter of Anna. The red coat plays a role in the book.

So when i found this coat in sl my brains made a connection to the bookcover and the book.

Credits:

Coat: MEB - MEB : Audrey Red Coat Gift (free) from POE hunt search the globe

I hope many will go and read this impressive book, Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment